Dr. Clark R. Alexander, Jr.
Skidaway Institute of Oceanography
10 Ocean Science Circle
Savannah, Georgia 31411
Telephone: (912) 598-2329
Fax: (912) 598-2310
Director, Applied Coastal Research Laboratory , Georgia Southern University
B.A. Humboldt State University, Geology 1983
B.S. Humboldt State University, Oceanography 1983
M.S. North Carolina State University, Marine Geology 1985
Ph.D. North Carolina State University, Marine Sedimentology 1990
| Research Interests and Projects |
Sedimentary processes on continental margins, processes of stratigraphic sequence formation, coastal and barrier island geology, rates and processes of shoreline change, Quaternary sea level history, barrier island formation and stratigraphy, anthropogenic impacts on the coastal zone, biological modification of the sedimentary record, benthic habitat assessment.
- LTER: Georgia Coastal Ecosystem Research. NSF
- Late Quaternary Framework of the Waipaoa Continental Margin: Quantifying Mass Fluxes and Event Stratigraphy for Integrated Source-to-Sink Studies. NSF.
- Field Assessment and Simulation of Shading from Alternative Dock Construction Materials. GA Coastal Zone Management Program.
- Assessing Shoreline Change and Coastal Hazards for the Georgia Coast. GA Sea Grant.
- Threatened Archaeological, Historic and Cultural Resources of the Georgia Coast: Identification, Prioritization and Management using GIS Technology, Phase II. GA Coastal Zone Management Program.
- Quantifying the Impact of Recreational and Commercial Usage of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway on the Natural Resources of Georgia. GA Coastal Zone Management Program.
- Providing a Temporal Framework for Ossabaw Island in Support of Physical and Social Science Research. Ossabaw Island Foundation.
- GIS and Field-Based Documentation of Armored Estuarine Shorelines in Georgia. Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
- Remote Bathymetric Measurements with NCAM. Savannah River National Laboratory/DOE.
- Coastal Geology and Coastal Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Introduction to Coastal Oceanography, Savannah State University.
- Pre-service teachers Science Practicum, Armstrong Atlantic State University.
- Natural History and Environmental Management of the Georgia Coast, Georgia Southern University.
- Summer Field Course in Oceanography, Skidaway Institute of Oceanography.
Christensen, B. A., C. R. Alexander, J. A. Goff, R. J. Turner, and J. A. Austin, Jr. 2013. The Last Glacial: Insights from continuous coring on the New Jersey continental shelf. Marine Geology 335: 78-99.
Jackson, C., C. Alexander, and D. Bush. 2012. Application of the AMBUR R Package for Shoreline Change Analysis: Jekyll Island, Georgia. Computers and Geosciences 41: 199-207.
Pennings, S. C., M. Alber, C. R. Alexander, M. Booth, A. Burd, W.-J. Cai, C. Craft, C. B. DePratter, D. Di Iorio, C. Hopkinson, S. B. Joye, C. D. Meile, W. S. Moore, B. Silliman, V. Thompson, and J. P. Wares. 2012. South Atlantic tidal wetlands. In Wetland Habitats of North America: Ecology and Conservation Concerns, ed. A. Baldwin and D. Batzer. University of California Press. pp. 45-61.
Pennings, S., M. Alber, C. Alexander, M. Booth, A. Burd, W.-J. Cai, C. Craft, C. DePratter, D. DiIorio, J. Hollibaugh, C. Hopkinson, S. Joye, C. Meile, W. Moore, B. Silliman, V. Thompson, and J. Wares. 2012. South Atlantic tidal wetlands in Wetlands of the World, D. P. Batzer and A. H. Baldwin (eds), Wetland Habitats of North America, Univ. California Press, 404 pp.
Scrudato, R. J., J. R. Chiarenzelli, P. K. Miller, C. R. Alexander, J. Arnason, K. Zamzow, K. Zweifel, J. Gologergen, J. Kava, V. Waghiyi, and D. O. Carpenter. 2012. Contaminants at Arctic formerly used defense sites. Journal of Local and Global Health Science: 2012:2. www.qscience.com/doi/pdf/10.5339/jlghs.2012.2
Alexander, C. R., A. D. Uhler, and R. F. Lee. 2011. Using historical cores to assess inputs of organochlorines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in coastal Georgia estuaries. In Global Communication Trends of Persistent Organic Chemicals, ed.B.G. Loganathan and P.K.-S. Lam. Taylor and Francis, pp. 469-479.
Alexander, C. R., J. P. Walsh, and A. R. Orpin. 2010. Modern sediment dispersal and accumulation on the outer Poverty continental margin. Marine Geology 270: 213-226.
Robinson, Michael H., Clark R. Alexander, Chester W. Jackson, Christopher P. McCabe, and David Crass. 2010. Threatened archaeological, historic, and cultural resources of the Georgia coast: identification, prioritization and management using GIS technology. Geoarchaeology: An International Journal25(3): 312-326.
Alexander, C., and H. Lee. 2009. Sediment accumulation on the southern California bight continental margin during the twentieth century. In: Earth Science in the Urban Ocean: The Southern California Continental Borderland, eds. H. Lee and B. Normark. GSA Special Paper 454: 69-88.
Ryan, H. F., H. J. Lee, P. J. Haeussler, C. R. Alexander, and R. E. Kayen. 2009. Historic and paleo-submarine landslide deposits imaged beneath Port Valdez, Alaska: implications for tsunami generation in a glacial fiord. In Submarine Mass Movements and Their Consequences, D.C. Mosher et al. (eds.), Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research. 28.
Full Publication List